This year’s Diversity Symposium theme is “Building Inclusive Communities,” and the 2017 Diversity Champion Awards will be given to campus community members who are advancing equity at the Institute, particularly at the intersections of race and class.
In light of this year’s theme, members of the faculty, staff, and student population, and a unit (e.g., office, department, school, or lab) who significantly demonstrate diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Georgia Tech community will be recognized at the Ninth Annual Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon on September 6, 2017.
Recipients will have demonstrated one or more of the following within the last three years:
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, particularly at the intersections of race and class.
- Leadership in building an inclusive campus community.
- Behavior that illustrates commitment to the inclusion of persons within the Institute who represent the diversity of the Georgia Tech community.
- Organized, conducted, and/or supported events and activities that promote cross-cultural understanding, respect, and inclusion of diverse individuals and groups.
All full-time faculty, staff, students, and organizational units are eligible for this award – except previous recipients of the Diversity Champion Awards and Gender Equity Champion Awards.
Nominations, including previous nominees and self-nominations, may be made by all full-time Georgia Tech faculty, staff, or students for any award category.
Nominations will be accepted until May 26, 2017. Nominators should inform nominees that their names have been put forward for consideration.
The Diversity Champion Awards will be presented at the Ninth Annual Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon, scheduled for September 6, 2017 at the Georgia Tech Hotel Ballroom.
From 2013 to 2015, the Diversity Champion Awards recognized faculty, staff, students, and units who actively demonstrated and positively promoted the concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Georgia Tech campus community.
In 2016, the Gender Equity Champion Awards were created to recognize members of the faculty, staff, and student body, and a unit for significantly demonstrating gender diversity, equity, and inclusion within the campus community – given the Eighth Annual Diversity Symposium theme, “Celebrating Women at Georgia Tech.”
Each year, one or more member(s) of the faculty, staff, and student body, and one or more unit(s) were selected and recognized at the Diversity Symposium Awards Luncheon. Award winners have included:
- Faculty: Mary Frank Fox
- Staff: Shannon Sullivan
- Student: Kendall Rankin
- Unit: School of Physics
- Faculty: Mary Lynn Realff and Stephen Ruffin
- Staff: Madison Cario and Matthew Hall
- Students: W.R. Alexander Berry and Andrea Welsh
- Units: Division of Student Life and School of Mathematics
- Faculty: Carol Colatrella and Gary May
- Staff: Sandy Simpson
- Student: Kate Overstreet
- Unit: CEISMC
- Faculty: Rigoberto Hernandez
- Staff: Keith Oden
- Student: Jiby Yohannen
- Unit: Project ENGAGES